Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Dog whisperers save another furry one!

I have to say that we have had more dogs in the backseat than most people. My DH and I are huge animal lovers and rarely go three weeks without picking up a dog on the loose. Today we were drive to Oklahoma and I saw a beautiful black dog running full speed across a field towards the 8 lane highway we were driving on. We looked back in the rear view mirror to see him starting to cross. I couldn't look. We got about 1/4 of a mile and DH turns around on the highway and heads back. I literally put my coat over my face, because I didn't want to see him. We looked and didn't see him so we turned left onto the street next to the field where we saw him come from. We look across the 8 lane highway and there he is. M gets out of the truck and "Sooner" runs for him. I had to cover my face and M had to wave for traffic to stop. Sooner jumped into the truck. He looked so grateful! I am shocked that he was still alive. He is a beautiful young, black lab, with the prettiest amber colored eyes. So we drove around to see if someone was looking for him. We called the number on his tag and it went straight to voicemail. I left a message and sent a text. We finally decided that we would find the closest vet, and take him there for a safe place. Best case scenario, the owner calls us, we can tell him where his dog is and Sooner goes home. Worst case scenario, we pick him up on our way back from Oklahoma until we can find his owner. Long story short: find the vet, vet says Sooner is a patient of the clinic, and knows how to contact the owner. As I am leaving, owner calls me back asking about the dog. He didn't seem very concerned and wasn't very thankful that he sweet puppy was splattered by one of the many 18 wheelers going 70 MPH. Your Welcome A********. Last week on one of the coldest nights we found a dog with no tags. We took the dog (this time it was a Chocolate Lab) to an emergency vet to get scanned for a microchip. Nothing. My DH drove and walked through the neighborhood for two hours before finding a flier that had just be put up. Champ was reunited with his very grateful and overjoyed owner. I want a dog, I keep hoping this will inspire M to go to the SPCA (which is across from our house) and get a dog or another cat.

3 comments:

rackersfamily said...

I'll give you a fat cat!

Liv said...

Hi there! I'm so glad that there are people like you and your husband to care for lost pets, even though this guy didn't appreciate you!

I hope things are well. How is your husband doing with the job thing? Best wishes-
Liv

stacey said...

You guys rock! DH and I volunteer for a local animal shelter, and it is so rewarding. Good for you...and screw all those idiots who can't seem to keep track of their animals, or don't worry when they've gotten away from them.

We lost our dog once, and I swear my world was in a tailspin until some nice lady called and told us she showed up on her doorstep wagging her tail:-)