Sunday, December 14, 2008

Fancy party and big family news

We had such a wonderful time last night. We went to a Christmas party at the house of a billionaire last night. It was unbelievable. I can't even describe it, it must have cost $750,000 to put on. They had tents that were as big as a football fields set up in the backyard, by backyard I mean 9 acres. They were set up on platforms, I am talking tent after tent, with food, a whole area dedicated to desert, and one for the entertainment. The bathrooms were VERY nice port-a-pottys in a trailer, but you would have never guessed that what it was. They rivaled anything you might find in a nice restaurant bathroom.
I am NOT exaggerating when I say it cost at least $750,000, although it was probably more. You couldn't put down a glass without someone running up and taking it or offering you something else. I bet there were 2000+ people there. I doubt I will ever see anything like it again. They had well over 200 servers, bartenders, and event staff. There were over 50 valet guys.
The opening act was The Guess Who (they originally sang American Woman and some other stuff) with the guy from Bachman Turner Overdrive (Taking Care of Business). They had a popular Beetles Tribute band playing in another tent. The main concert was with the Moody Blues. They were soooo good. I love the song "Nights in White Satin!"

The best part of the night was seeing my dad so happy, and having so much fun. These are the times I will cherish when he is gone. Hopefully, we will have 30 more years of good times like this.

The house was 15k square feet, to walk through it was an honor. It was full of antiques and original artwork, like a museum. What is sad is that the billionaire attorney that hosts this party died at the end of October of a rare and aggressive form of cancer at 63 years old. He left behind a grown son, a little girl (3 y.o.) and 4 month old twin girls born with the help of a surrogate. I think his wife is in her 50's or maybe early 60's, although she looks amazing!!! They had the house open and we walked through the rooms! OMG!!! The nursery brought me to tears, sooooo beautiful! It would appear that they handled the surrogacy with pride and grace, something most people would try to keep quiet.
It was just neat to see how the top .5% live. Oh, and their windows and patio doors were custom made, I sell windows and I am telling you that they used curved glass. That is nearly impossible to do in a french patio door. It is one of those things that you say, "It can be done, but no one would pay for it." M was foaming at the mouth and taking pictures with the camera phone. There was marble everywhere, not pieced together marble, but solid marble.

OK..... So, my little sister was adopted 14 years ago at birth after my dad and step mother tried for many years to get pregnant. They did IVF, IUI, and tried a surrogate. Nothing worked. My little sister is an amazing kid and I am so grateful to have her in my life. Seriously, she is super well adjusted! Sooooo... she found out she was adopted this week on accident. They told her as a baby, and then something happened that freaked out my dad and s/m, so they stopped talking about it. She went through some old videotapes and one was from the court when her adoption was completed. HOLY SH**! So, here they are. They told me she handled it better than anyone. She was like, "ok." She even was consoling my s/m and dad who were freaking out. How that doesn't F' up a 14 year old, I don't know. I didn't have anything that dramatic happen to me and I was in therapy for years. It just goes to show that they have done a great job with her. If she doesn't throw that back in there face at least once or twice in the next 5 years, I am going to have her checked to see if she is a real teenager. I completely admire her! She has the most incredible singing voice!
M and I are getting along, we made up quickly. We have had a great week together. We are not pregnant again this month, but that is ok.

1 comment:

Echloe said...

wow that is something else about your sister. she is one tough cookie to not wig out on your parents. just wow. what a great kid. handled it a hell of a lot better than I would have.

And that house sounds awesome.