So, Christmas Eve we volunteered with the Angel Project. We helped 400 homeless at the Hyatt where they were staying. I loved watching my DH talking with people, smiling and picking up plates, holding hands, and patting shoulders. In spite of losing his job, we are grateful for each other, our families, friends. I was just overwhelmed with gratitude for what we have, I started to cry (like an ugly cry) when we were cheering as people were entering. M had Kleenex ready, he knows me too well.
On Christmas Day we volunteered at a shelter and saw a bunch of the same people. They were so gracious. We went to lunch with a group from TE and had a nice day. It was a great way to spend the holiday. I didn't cry this time.
The only differences between us and them are life skills and family support. A lot of the homeless are educated and have employment. I could go on and on about the stories I heard. I walked away feeling closer to DH and my family. I see Christmas different now. The people we met wished they were with their family and friends. It wasn't about a warm bed and food, it was about being with others on a day that is so lonely for most.
Saturday, December 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment